NY TIMES PAST ARTICLES

”History„ Our Lady of Mount Carmel Shrine of East Harlem

Click on date to view article

Dec. 15, 1884 (pdf) THE NEW CHURCH OUR LADY OF MT. CARMEL

July 17, 1886 (pdf) FESTE OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL

Feb. 03, 1887 (pdf) A NEW CHURCH BLESSED

July 17, 1900 (pdf) LITTLE ITALY’S FESTE DAY

July 17, 1903 (pdf) 10,000 IN BARE FEET ARE PILGRIMS HERE

July 11, 1904 (pdf) ARCHBISHOP CROWNS A MIRACLE STATUE

July 17, 1904 (pdf) THOUSANDS DO HOMAGE TO MT.CARMEL

July 17, 1906 (pdf) LITTLE ITALY HONORS LADY OF MT. CARMEL

July 17, 1907 (pdf) LITTLE ITALY ‘S FIRE PANIC

July 18, 1920 (pdf) 10,000 IN BARE FEET ARE PILGRIMS HERE

Sept 04, 1928 (pdf) HARLEM ITALIANS HONOR ST. ANTHONY

July 17, 1933 (pdf) 60,00 VISIT THE SHRINE

July 14, 1934 (pdf) 10,000 IN STREETS AT HARLEM FIESTA

July 17, 1935 (pdf) 40,00 TAKE PART IN CHURCH FESTIVAL

July 15, 1936 (pdf) ITALIANS TO HONOR SAINT TODAY

July 16, 1936 (pdf) LITTLE ITALY’S JOYOUS AT RELIGIOUS FETE

July 17, 1937 (pdf) 100,000 ITALIAN MARKS SAINT’S DAY IN HARLEM

July 17, 1941 (pdf) THOUSANDS FLOCK TO CHURCH FETE

July 17, 1963 (pdf) HARLEM ITALIANS PARADE FOR SAINTS

July 17, 1968 (pdf) LITTLE ITALY HONORS LADY OF MT. CARMEL

Oct 15, 1968 (pdf) FIESTA ATTRACTS EX-HARLEMITES

July 17, 1986 (pdf) FLOCKS RETURNS ANEW TO EAST HARLEM MADONNA

Click here to view full Historical Photo

July 16th, 1881 First Feast is celebrated.
April 11th, 1884 First mass is said in chapel at 111th street.
Sept. 20th, 1884 Cornerstone is laid.
Nov. 29th, 1884 Inauguration of the Shrine
Sept. 5th, 1886 Holy Name Society is formed.
May 12th, 1903 Coronation Decree is granted.
July 10th, 1904 SOLEMN CORONATION OF THE MIRACULOUS MADONNA
June 23rd, 1923 New Throne is built.
May 17th, 1927 New Bell Tower is completed and blessed
July 16th, 1929 Silver Anniversary of the Coronation.
March 8th, 1931 The New church organ is dedicated.
July 16th, 1934 Golden Anniversary of the Church.
1942, Entire Church is renovated. The Throne of Our
Lady was redesigned by Lorenzoni
1948 New wing from Sacristy to the Rectory erected.
July 11th, 1954 Golden Anniversary of the Coronation
July 16th, 1959 Diamond Anniversary of the Church
May 15th, 1963 New Convent built on 116th Street
Sept. 1st, 1965 New School and Gymnasium completed
June 9th, 1968 Restoration of Church Interior is completed
March 5th, 1973 New Marble Altar for Liturgical Services Facing Congregation is installed in Sanctuary
July 14th, 1974 90th Anniversary of the Church
July 16th, 1979 Diamond Anniversary of the Coronation
July 16th, 1984 100th Anniversary of the Church
July 16th, 2000 Celebration of the Millenium with the
MIRACULOUS MADONNA and the Feast of Giglio returns
July 16th, 2004 100th Anniversary of the Coronation